From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 01:03:46 -0400
It all depends on the source. Another source stated that the favourite food of the Inuit was aged, rotting fish, for example. I've also seen videos of Inuit happily eating things like muktuk(rotting raw whalemeat) , treating it as a sort of delicacy.

As regards taste, I should point out that our taste is largely determined by what we ate as children and even what our mothers ate in the womb.There was a study which showed that certain bitter foods mothers ate during pregnancy were preferred by babies, subsequently.

That said, we rawists do eventually get used to and prefer the taste of raw foods to cooked foods. Usually takes something like 8-12 months, though some adapt at a much faster rate. The thing is, cooked foods are actually quite tasteless, which is why they are so often doused with extra spices to give them taste, plus most cooked foods nowadays are so highly processed that they possess little actual taste any more. However, since our tastes are determined in childhood, it takes time for us to get used to and enjoy the richer taste of raw foods. I, for example, had to start with more mild-tasting foods like raw turkey breast-fillets and then , as I got used to raw, gradually moved on to the tastier raw organs and raw wild game, which I now far prefer.

Geoff

"I watched a documentary on a traditional Inuit tribe, the title of which escapes
me.   One scene that is indelibly printed in my memory bank is a scene within an
igloo after a day of hunting.  A group of men are huddled around a boiling
crude metal pot that is sitting directly atop coals  in a hot fire pit.  I don't
know what they are burning, but its something flammable... LOL.   One  Inuit
says out loud to the camera as they are stirring a boiling metal pot containing
some form of bubbling seal meat:   "we can eat it raw, but we always prefer
cooking our meat whenever we get the chance its so much more delicous."

Batsheva"