From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 23:11:43 -0700
Jane wrote:

> 1.  what part of Swiss chard is edible raw?  leaves
> only, stem???  what about collards, dandelion, turnip
> greens?  I see recipes that call for cooking these,
> but since some of them, especially the chard, look
> like rhubarb, and the leaves of that are poisonous, I
> was hesitant to eat these raw.

Swiss chard stems and leaves are edible, but since it is
somewhat high in oxalates (but not nearly as high as rhubarb)
you should limit your intake.
Collards are a primitive cabbage; they are probably pretty
harsh tasting but should be fine.  Dandelion greens, especially
young ones, make good salad.  Other greens: turnip, beet, etc.,
should be okay, but probably have a stronger flavor raw than
cooked.

> 2.  does anyone eat parsnips, beets, turnips raw, do
> they need to be peeled first?

Some people eat beets raw, especially grated in salads. They are
very tasty.  I'd peel if skins were rough and crusty.  Tender young
beets or turnips, just slice or grate without peeling.  You can make
a dandy raw salad by dicing up your choice of beets, green peppers,
carrots, cabbage, zucchini, cucumber, broccoli, and cauliflower and
putting an oliveoil-lemonjuice-herb dressing on it.  (I hope that's far
enough from a recipe to avoid reprimands!)

Lynnet