From:
Denise LePage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:47:33 EDT
I did a medline search a few weeks ago on sucralose, and it really
does seem
to be completely benign.  I'm not arguing that frankensugars are great
for
you, but I also don't see any short-term obvious harm.

Stevia, on the other hand, does all kinds of things.  I really don't
have
much of a sweet tooth, but if I did, I wouldn't be using stevia.

The problem you're having with Safeway Splenda is the cut.  It is not
pure
sucralose.  Some are cut with dextrose, some with maltodextrin, in
rather
large amounts to make it pour like sugar.  Depends on whether it's
packets or
granulated.  I can taste it, too.  Doesn't taste anything like sugar
to me.
Tastes like maltodextrin.

Supposedly there is liquid splenda now that does not contain these
fillers.
You might want to give that a shot.  I probably will just for
curiosity's
sake, since the claims that sucralose tastes just like sugar are
completely
unfounded when it's cut with all those fillers.

Denise