From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 16:52:03 -0400
On Wed, 13 May 1998, Rabza73673 wrote:

> Gregg,
> have you read Protein Power? all your concerns are addressed there.

No, they're not.  I hate to be contrary, but the notion that
Neanderthin, or any ketogenic diet, makes one invulnerable to
hypercholesterolemia is as wrong as the low-fat paradigm that it
attempts to replace.  Protein Power does *not* explain, or even
mention, the fact that some people on ketogenic diets experience
substantial increases of LDL cholesterol.  Protein Power, like
Neanderthin, cites the 1928 all-meat diet experiment but both
books neglect to mention Karsten Andersen's outcome.

> Ray writes;
> "Trying to reduce fat consumption while following the guidelines of
> NeanderThin program will only reduce metabolisim, produce fatigue and slow
> weight loss.  Low-fat diets have been shown to dramatically increase LDL
(bad)
> cholesterol and lipid levels in some indiviuals.  Remember that fat from
> nature is not the culprit---it is the immune systems response to unnatural
> foods that cause autoimmune disease ( like heart disease ".
> Eat steak, be happy!!!

The key here is "some individuals."  What Ray did not mention is
that high-fat/low-carb diets also dramatically increase LDL in
some individuals, regardless of whether the foods are natural or
not.  There appears to be no hard statistics as to how many
people will have this experience, but Atkins estimates that it
may be as many as a third.

Furthermore, researchers such as Loren Cordain and Boyd Eaton
argue that the actual paleolithic diet was probably quite low in
saturated fat, so it makes some sense to say that the high
saturated fat content of domestic meats is itself "unnatural", a
result of technological intervention.  Furthermore, avoiding
saturated fat does not have to involve following a low-fat
diet; it only requires attention to the *kinds* of fats one
consumes.

Todd Moody