From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:40:57 +0900
On Wednesday, August 3, 2005, at 07:51  AM, Wally Day wrote:

> And, what's the deal with smokers and vitamin A?

About 15 years ago there was a big fad to put Beta-carotene in all
sorts of health food, under the theory that it would act as a
anti-oxidant, prevent cancer, slow aging, blah blah blah. Then they did
some actual tests on people. Found that after a few years the smokers
who took B-C supplements were dropping off from lung cancer.
Non-smokers didn't have much effect either way.

That was a wake up for me. I have been a sceptic on health food claims
and vitamin claims ever since. I want to see the random-controlled
human studies before I spend big bucks on supplements.