From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 May 2005 11:20:26 -0700
--- "Kristina K. Carlton"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

However, what about the claims regarding
> veggies and cellulose? Any
> validity to it? What veggies were available to
> Paleolithic people?

Probably veggies with a lot more cellulose than the
ones we have today!  No, we can't digest the
cellulose, but the antioxicants, phytonutrients,
vitamins, minerals, and so are a good enough reason.
Besides, veggies taste good and fill the stomach.  I
get much hungrier on the same amount of meat when I
don't have my greens.

Even my cats and dog, whom no one has accused of being
other than carnivorous, eat grass and leaves when they
go outside.  I tend to concentrate on greens, because
it seems like leaves would be more available for more
of the year than fruits or roots.  They also tend to
be lower in carbs.

Just from what I've read, it seems that although it is
possible to be healthy on an almost entirely meat
diet, if you eat the entrails and stomach contents,
any hunter-gatherers who have plant food available do
eat it, in varying proportions to meat.

Fruit, incidentally, has plenty of cellulose as well.
So do nuts and seeds.  It's called fiber.  And while
it may be true that fiber is unnecessary on an
all-meat diet, any plants our ancestors used would
have had the fiber included, and probably, as I
started out, alot more than the plants we have bred
today.

YMMV, follow dosing directions carefully, do not try
this at home without competent adult supervision, and
the except as provided by state law, all warranties
are null and void.

Andrea