From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 07:50:23 -0700
Hi Moira,

>Do any of you get kind of a weird or parched thirst after eating ground beef
>or being on a no carb diet? What is that from?
I read about this yesterday in Native Nutrition by Ron Schmid (thank you
Peter for the book suggestion!) It is very good!

I think your answer lies in this description of raw vs. cooked food:

pg41: Raw foods consist mostly of  hydrophylic colloids. Hydrophylic means
water-loving, and a colloid is a suspension of solid particles in a
gel-like fluid. Eaten uncooked, these colloids absorb large quantities of
digestive juices, forming a gelatinous mass that maintains the mucosa of
the stomach and digestive tract in a healthy state.
The heat of cooking precipitates out colloids, making them hydrophobic
(water-hating); the hydration capacity of the colloids is decreased, and
they become less able to absorb digestive juices.

The author goes on to discuss Pottenger's cats who thrived on raw meat and
milk. He discusses too, his belief that our intestines became too long due
to refined foods so digesting flesh could be difficult because of this.

Paleowishes,
Susan