From:
Michelle Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 09:37:23 -0500
> At 16:11 5/23/03, Michelle Hale wrote:
> >I almost forgot to mention that my husband and I have been trying for
almost
> >one year with no success.  I am hoping that the paleo diet will help
> >increase our chances, though I'm only 50% of the equation, with my
husband
> >refusing to eat healthy.
>
> Well, start telling your hubby that first of all you want a healthy kid,
> and second, that if he keeps on as he's doing, he won't live to see him
> graduate from high school. I'm being a bit harsh here, but I wouldn't want
> to bring a kid into the world with the health issues you had mentioned as
> possibility. Much better, perhaps, to stall around a bit more and give him
> a better start.
I've already tried that approach.  He is his own person, though, and I'm not
waiting forever, nor am I going to divorce him for eating badly.  His
biggest addiction is soda.  He grew up with it always available, where I
didn't, so it is much easier for me to forgo it than him.  He does want to
cut down on his soda, but is having difficulty figuring out how to do it.
He says he doesn't like water, and he hates diet soda (fine by me, but we
need a start...).  He is a construction worker, so the need to quench his
thirst is always present.  Also, because his lifestyle is active, despite
his cholesteral level being over 300, and glucose levels borderline
diabetic, he is not overweight.  The numbers are scary, but he doesn't have
any sort of physical incentive (in the sense of being fat).  His doctor told
him to start with lemonade or gatorade, and to gradually water it down.  He
tried that for about a day, but always goes back to soda.  He's always been
very anti-smoking because his grandpa's nose fell off (really!) from
smoking, and his grandma died from smoking related complications, so I've
tried to compare it to that.  He understands that soda is so very bad for
him, but like any addiction, he is having problems stopping.