From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:50:02 +0100
On Jul 29, 2008, at 12:28 am, Paleo Phil wrote:

> As a matter of fact, one of the offputting factors of Paleo is that
> people
> look at the lean frames of Paleo dieters and decide they don't want
> to look
> that thin themselves or assume the Paleo dieters must be anorexic or
> malnourished or something. One person even said to me, "I don't want
> to go
> totally [Paleo] because I don't want to get as skinny as I was in high
> school"--which did happen to me. :) Based on what I've read, some
> people
> here apparently are not thin, but I don't know if their diets differ
> significantly from those I mentioned or not.

FWIW, I've gained a lot of weight since I started paleo.  I've always
been slim, probably only just on the right side of underweight when I
was younger.  Since I started lifting free weights I've added 10kg to
my frame, all muscle apparently.  Or at least, no more extra fat than
comes naturally with the muscle.

For anyone that is too thin, I suggest picking up a good[1] book[2] on
exercise technique and go maul some heavy things around.  Actually
just mauling heavy things around will make you bigger, but it's nice
to do it without too much risk of crippling yourself in the process.

FWIW my diet is fairly strict seasonal paleo, no dairy whatsoever,
small amounts of wheat and soy (mostly from eating chinese, once a
week or so).  Generally low carb, higher in winter when root veg are
around, very low carb in spring, some fruit in summer, plenty of nuts
in autumn. I was following a 20/4hr fast/eat pattern, but now I'm on
36/12.  I've always trained during the fasting period.

Ashley

[1] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1583332383/
[2] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0976805421/