From:
Shaena Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:04:13 -0800
> I think the increase in lean fat from 5 to 22% is ample evidence that
their
> systems cannot handle grain protein. They probably have little of it in
> their tissues but the metabolic effect is the same as for humans-
disaster!
> and fat deposition.

I've found this thread interesting - we raise our own beef, just a steer or
two a year, and for their last six months have always grained heavily.  One
change I made last year, was not to castrate.  The theory being that a young
bull has more lean meat - closer to wild.  Makes sense to me.  Also, though
we have 5 ac. in pasture, I find the animal spends most of his time foraging
in the woods.  I also wonder if the fact that the grain we feed is rolled
makes a difference, seems it would be more easily digested and we are
talking about a ruminant with four stomachs.

As an aside, we got our elk this year - a nice spike and 2 deer.  Had to
work hard, the weather was nasty, but it's nice to have them in the freezer.

Shaena
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

You may also contact me through ICQ #18000509