From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 00:35:08 GMT
>Even the ancient Greeks described melancholia, so it's not strictly a
 >feature of modern life. However, it may be a feature of a structured
 >society, where everyone _must_ find a place within the structure. I
 >suspect that modern life is so structured that many more people
break
 >under the strain. Perhaps in an HG society, just about everyone can
 >fit in one way or another.

It might simply be due to the adverse affect of carbohydrates on
long-term
serotonin balance...

Also I am thinking about the relationship between schizophrenia, etc.
and
gluten/casein. My MIL is "clinically depressed" with CFS and is
addicted to
oatmeal and yogurt. I truly believe that she may have mild
schizophrenia.
One of her children attempted suicide in his teens.