Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:47:19 -0800
I was doing some reading this morning and ran across what I thought was an
intriguing bit of research (no idea at this point whether it's statistically
valid, etc. etc.).

But.. the general gist of it is that there's a bitter substance that some
people can taste and others can't - at very dilute levels. Guess who can?
People with thyroid problems. Guess what the bitter substance does? Inhibits
the thyroid.

Taken in evolutionary terms, it could suggest that those whose thyroids were
prone to being hypo learned to be very sensitive about what they ate and
developed a distaste for things that were bad for them.

Here's the article (might skip down to the subhead involving the word
'taste'):

http://www.dadamo.com/subtype5.htm