Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:23:48 -0400
> From:    judy genova <[log in to unmask]> spoke of her hunting expedi=
tion,
of sorts, with her kids at a Fallow Deer farm, where  a group of folks
were
having anAtlatl competition on the premises, to be followed by a hunt
of
fallow deer.
>=20
The atlatl--an ancient hunting device used to throw spears sounds like
the
spear thrower described in the second and third books of Jean M.
Auel's
series--- Clan of The Cave Bear, Valley of the Horses, The Mammoth
Hunters,
and Plains of Passage!!  I was so excited to hear of this experience
that
you, Dant=E9 and Cosmo had---because Don and I are both reading Jean
M. Auel'=
books and really into them.  The hunting, the tools, the carving, the
ingenuity of the people, the adventure, the food they eat, and the
bits of
history woven into the story as fascinating.  People who are into
paleo die=
would probably enjoy these bestselling books even more than mainstream
people!  They talk about pemmican and about boiling stew and
renderinger fa=
and cooking in animal skins.  I find the books very engaging and hard
to pu=
down.  If you want some entertaining reading, with a paleo twist, get
Auel'=
books or books on tapes from the library--just be sure to start with
the
first  book and read them in order.  If you like romance (and sex :-))
--th=
books have some of that too!!

I'd love to learn how to use a spear thrower and a bow and arrow!!
Someday=
,
maybe I can! =20

Btw:  Oh, I'd like to post the picture of Dant=E9, the cave kid, on
that
facelink site but I don't know how to upload the picture.  I have a
jpeg
file of a photo.  How do I stick it/get it on that site?  I can't find
instructions!  I want to post a picture of Don and I too?  Can someone
e-mail me directions!

Enthusiastically,

Rachel