From:
jlpresto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 13:38:44 +0900
I guess that the Japanese company Ajinomoto invented the man-made MSG...

Ture, katuobushi or niboshi are dried fish (and therefore processed) so
their dashi (MSG) is neolithic.  But how about smoking, anyways?

You mention simmered a long time, but katuobushi is removed from the pot the
minute the water starts to boil.  Niboshi go about 5-no more than 10 minutes
before throwing them out.

But dashi (MSG) from shiitake mushrooms is made at room temperature
(mushrooms are paleo, right?  But you cook shiitake, but yet you make the
shiru broth at room temperature--so are shiitake therefore not paleo?  I
dont think they have to be cooked, they just are cooked because they are
tough?  This is the kind of thing that confuses me!).

Konbu seaweed dashi is made also at room temperature, in fact you have to
remove konbu before boiling if you want to make it on the quick in a
soup--cuz its better made at room temperature.

I usually put the two together in a jar and leave overnight in the fridge.

I just think that probably some people have been making broth with sea water
and seaweed this way into paleo times.  I dont think either shiitake or
konbu require fire, either for their dashi or themselves.

Maybe Japanese pickles are traditionally made just with sea water and
vegetables, too.  When I make them, I make them with veggies, water and
salt--and a dash of konbu dashi (most people of course add Ajinomoto dashi).

Just ideas.  Things I havent really run across along the way.  Im a total
novice.  I just am wondering if maybe these pickles and soups and stuff are
not paleo?  Will keep eating them til I find out!  Thank you for your
comments, please tell more if you have ideas on other pickles and such?
What about making dashi from sundried tomatos?  Or are tomatoes totally neo,
like all nightshades?  Oh I get confused!

Judith

____________True, it is in soups that have been simmered a long time. But to
be paleo a
food needs to be edible raw. And while one can argue about how long humans
have been cooking, cooking utensils capable of many hours of simmering are
relatively recent.

Don.