Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 20:02:52 -0400
From the book The Steak Lover's Diet by Dr. Melvin Anchell:

"Upon reaching the Pacific ocean, the explorers built a fort, Fort
Clatsop, and set up their winter quarters.  The site for the fort was
selected because elk were abundant in the area.  Fort Clatsop was quite
small.  Space and things to do were limited.  The men were essentially
imprisoned during the winter months waiting for spring to make the
return trip to St. Louis.  Hunters supplied the meat with '131 elk, 20
deer, beaver, otter, and a raccoon.'  Lewis wrote,' While we lived
principally on the flesh of this animal (elk), we were much more
healthy, strong, and more fleshy than we had been since we left the
Buffalo country.......'

(Note: Hunger and starvation were a problem when the expedition left
buffalo country and crossed the Rockies to the Pacific.  Members of the
party had lost weight before they reached Fort Clatsop.  Here game was
once again plentiful and the men became 'more fleshy', not fat, as they
regained their normal weight.)

In addition to the meat supplied by Lewis and Clark hunters, Indians
living near the fort supplied the explorers with dog meat, which Lewis
was especially fond of because it contained more fat.  Lewis wrote,' I
think it (dog) an agreeable food and would prefer it vastly to lean
Venison and Elk.'

On one occasion, while in their winter quarters, a whale beached itself
on a nearby beach.  Before the explorers could get to it, Indians
harvested the entire carcass.  In his report, Lewis wrote that
fortunately he was able to purchase 300 pounds of whale blubber from the
Indians and 'Small as the store is, we prize it highly and thank the
hand of providence for directing the whale to us....'  He continues to
say that the men experienced ' the most perfect health at that time.'

Due to scarcity of game in the Rockies, the party was forced to consume
some of their much needed horses for food.  Lewis wrote,' We had a
hearty meal of our horse beef, much to the comfort of our hungry
stomach.'

part 4 (and last) to follow............

Paula H.