From:
Mary French <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 12:57:13 -0700
= = = Original message = = =

Message from  yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following
address(es).

149.68.45.24 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 No such local user
Giving up on 149.68.45.24.

--- Original message follows.

Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 07:12:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mary French <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: baby coming!
To: [log in to unmask]

This reminds me of one of the reasons homebirth is
considered safer than hospital birth...hospitals have
more germs, but also, mam and baby are accostomed to
the bacteria in their own home, and have more
resistance to them than to the foriegn bacteria they
would meet in hospital...

This goes back to our paleoteeth thread of a few
months ago, but I think if mom or dad eats a poor diet
and has an unhealthy mouth with cavity causing
bacteria in overabundance, and they are feeding baby a
carbohydrate rich medium for that bacteria to grow in,
maybe this is the reason chewing food for a baby could
cause cavities.  Personally I think (with a good
diet)it would provide a protective effect, passing on
some antibodies, mild exposure to common bacteria to
stimulate an immune response, etc.

BTW, another good site to check out is Kathryn
Dettweiler's Breastfeeding page.  She is an
anthropologist who has specifically researched
breastfeeding.