From:
Aaron Wieland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 23:54:30 -0400
Richard wrote:

<<Calcium is often poorly absorbed so I use hydroxyapatite (sp?) which is
essentially processed from bone meal. It contains calcium in its most
easily absorbed form, along with phosphorous and various other minerals,
as it is from bone and contains all that bone contains.>>

I'll second Richard's recommendation for calcium hydroxapatite.  I use the
Metagenics brand (sold in retail stores under the Ethical Nutrients label),
which has been clinically shown to actually reverse osteoporosis (to my
knowledge, this has not been proven for any other calcium supplement).

<<I don't believe that fish oil or oil capsules are good, because the oil
in them gets rancid. If I were to take fish oil, I'd take cod liver oil
from a bottle. My skin is soft and I think EFAs are one of the most
important supplements we can use.>>

I used to avoid fish oil capsules, but I finally started using them because
flaxseed oil didn't seem to help that much (judging from my dry hands during
the winter).  I remember Udo Erasmus saying that every fish oil supplement
he'd examined was rancid, but I haven't noticed any problem (I often get a
bit of indigestion and "fish breath" from eating actual fish, especially
mackerel, but never from the supplements).  Also, the fish oil is cheaper.
I would avoid cod liver oil, however, because the potential toxicity.

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland