From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 22:49:07 +1000
  > So how do you come to 77% animal food? Were it two pounds of fatty
grubs,
> or two platyphus everyday?

believe me, i have not been able to find out more specific details, eg an
actual account of family ate on the week beginning 12 july 1978.. etc. it's
probably out there somewhere but i have not been able to track down sources.
The paper by Holt and Brand-Miller, which i now have a copy of, does not
give any kinds of details either.  they give no evidence of the proportion
of plant v animal foods, only noting that "in the animal dominated diets of
australian aborigines plants were subsidiaries, not dietary mainstays." [p.
22].
what we do know, from the list i gave, is that they had quite a wide range
of animals which provided suitable, and in some cases, abundant, sources of
fat. a good emu, for example, with 10kg of back fat, gives an enormous
90,000 calories in fat alone. in the case of grubs, as you somewhat
derisively call them, i read it was considered 6 gives enough energy for the
day [seems a bit too little to me]. The variety of animals available ensures
a year-round supply of something or other.
I wil post more as i find out. suffice to say at this point that Cordain's
23% figure seems based on exactly one study carried out in 1960.  not good
enough.

andrew