Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 08:29:58 -0700
Someome suggested UNDAUNTED COURAGE about Lewis and Clark and it was great
and now am reading the original diaries. Great paleo reading. Lots of hunter
gatherer tidbits. However, I was surprised as some of the tribes they came
across had no teeth. (these tribes had had no contact with civilized foods)
L& C  speculated it was because the people lived on salmon and roots and the
roots were very sandy.

I kind of had the impression that paleo groups would have perfect teeth?

 I was disheartened to see in  what bad shape some of the tribes were--
again who had had no contact with civilized foods, so that can't be it.

 Lots and lots of fighting between tribes for access to the buffalo herds,
etc., slave taking, and so forth. But overall a great read, lots of info
about bone marrow which was considered a huge delicacy.