From:
Dick Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 21:56:31 -0500
I got turned on to lanolin by a cousin many years ago.  Very good for
treating small abrasions, blisters, dry hands, cracking skin, nose
bleeds etc.

Being real cheap I made my own lanolin prep: take fat dripping from
roast sheep / lamb and render it: boiling water extraction.  Gets
most of the spice, salt & proteins out.  Put the grease in a saucepan
with a substantial amount of water.  Boil it vigorously.  Cool to
solid, punch a hole in the solid grease and pour off the water.
Repeat until diminishing returns on stink reduction, usually ~4
times.  The resulting sheep grease still stinks but has high lanolin
content and pretty much does the job.

Anhydrous lanolin can be bought from drugstores in 1p plastic jars.
Much less stinking.  There's various udder balm available from farm
supply stores and recently from 'health' stores; contains lanolin and
other goodys and works near as well as lanolin.

Dick
http://smith.syr.edu/~ddawson
SU Rifle Club: http://smith.syr.edu/~ddawson/surifleclub.html