From:
Aaron Wieland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 00:17:30 -0400
~ Rainah ~ wrote:
> Then Aaron suggested:
>
> >>usually partaking of some of each is
> >> safest. Plus, some exercise and some
> >> relaxation are important. Plus,
> >> cultivation of a good mood may make
> >> problems less trying.

In case anyone is confused, I'd like to point out that "the other Aaron"
wrote the above (not that I disagree with his advice, mind you).

> Aaron then said:
>
> >>A couple of months later, I noticed (but
> >> tried to deny for several months) that
> >> my old symptoms of fatigue, brain fog,
> >> and itchiness were returning,
> >> seemingly triggered by eating beef.
>
> I think I will be in denial if it is the lamb because I am so particular
> about what I eat and I feel comfortable with the quality of the New
> Zealand lamb which I eat practically raw...

I depend on the NZ lamb too, though I don't eat it raw.  Like you, I
feel I'd better not develop any new sensitivities.

> >>Like most of the chronically ill, you have
> >> a leaky gut, which means that a
> >> relatively large amount of dietary
> >> peptides enter your bloodstream, which
> >> can lead to allergies.
>
> How do you know I have a leaky gut?

Chronic health problems begin with the intestine.  Its lining needs to
be continually regenerated.  If this regeneration is impaired by
decreased blood flow due to stress, or by some other metabolic
imbalance, increased intestinal permeability results.  This
vulnerability paves the way for allergies, candidiasis, etc.  There's
some information about leaky gut syndrome (LGS) at
http://bcn.net/~stoll/lgs.html (don't be deterred by the advertisment at
the bottom of page; Dr. Stoll actually loses money from selling his
books -- he's just trying to spread information as effectively as
possible).

I'll reverse the question:  How do you think your joint and digestive
problems could have developed without being preceded by LGS?

You might be interested in the diet described at
http://bcn.net/~stoll/archives/bob/b071998.html#hg.  Your symptoms may
be exasperated by a metabolic imbalance (in particular, the dried fruit,
maple syrup, onions, and plantains may be excessive).  Has your diet
changed recently?  What was it like before you started a paleodiet?

Incidentally, I've noticed that my (non-severe) allergies, though still
troublesome, don't bother me as much as they used to.  I believe the
difference is mostly due to lifestyle changes.

I don't mean to sound like a preachy know-it-all.  In truth, I know very
little, but I like to share what I've picked up from far wiser people
who have an excellent track record in treating chronic illness.

Best regards,
-- Aaron Wieland