From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 17:32:01 -1000
I am just about to try this and have bought my caulking, er, I mean
jerky gun!
I will start with just trying to create jerky.  So, start with 91% or
leaner ground beef, check.  Now, the instructions that came with the gun
suggest putting in this "cure" packet, which is, basically salt.  That's
not paleo, so I wonder, will it work without it?  Just stick the meat in
there and squirt it onto a dehydrator?  Also, it suggests that the
dehydrator go up to 160 degrees.  I haven't bought the dehydrator yet
because I'm just figuring this part out (not all of them go up to the
same temperature)

So what about germs and so on?  Is a high-heat dehydrator better for
that?  How long will this stuff keep if I don't add the salt?

Any recommendations on a specific brand of dehydrator that's worked out
for you?

Erik