From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:48:02 -0700
I'm afraid it was many, many years ago that I went to the Hershey plant and
don't remember much about how it was processed.  Out of curiosity, I picked
up Atkin's book at the store the other day and was looking through it and
noticed at least one chocolate recipe calling for "unsweetened baker's
chocolate."  Then a couple of days ago an article in one of those checkout
stand women's magazines caught my eye--on a hyppothyroid diet--which says
that tyrosine, which boosts thyroid function, is found in dark chocolate
(and also bananas, nuts and yogurt, btw)..

Anyway, this got me wondering what it is that makes chocolate non-paleo  in
addition to the new-world considerations?  Is it all the sugar in the
sweetened versions or something about raw versus processed?  I assume if
Atkin's includes a recipe, it must be relatively low carb before stuff like
sugar's been added, so it's probably not from that...

Anyone know?  Guess I'm at the stage of wanting to know niggly details, so
I can make more educated choices for the long term, and so the "whys" are
becomming more important!  Lots of stuff is reasonably obvious, but this
one I just don't have enough information about.

Thanks for any information!

Dianne
who's never been more than an occasional chocolate eater, btw--so I'm not
asking anyone to support some excuse to eat it!  :)