From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 17:32:35 -0500
Hi Ron;

I understand what you are saying and I agree that grains may be more
injurious rather than a health benefit to people, but after reading this
book I began to wonder. Although they only mention it as a "possible" (3rd
after "convincing" and "probable") protective factor and the book explains
that there may be other variables at play so it's hard to make a strong
recommendation.

I haven't been making any bread for about 2-3 years after my bread-maker
died and have taken to eating the sprouted manna bread in the last year more
for its fibre content.

But, what is your opinion of sprouted bread? As I understand it has a
greatly reduced phytate content, and and is much higher in nutrients than
non-sprouted.

http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-sprout-information/wheat.html

"The sprouting process starts a beneficial modification of various
nutritional elements. Research undertaken at the University of Minnesota,
USA, showed that sprouting increases the nutrient density of food. At 3 days
of sprouting, much of the original carbohydrate is converted to natural
sugars, making it less mucus forming. During the 3 days of sprouting, the
vitamin E content can increase 300%, vitamin C increase 600%, and the B
vitamins have been found to increase from 20% to 1200%, with B17, the
'anti-cancer vitamin' 100% more than in unsprouted seed."

I don't know the guten content compared to regular bread though. I think
that there is some breakdown of gluten during germination ("Note too, that
gluten is not present in wheatgrass because, after germination, gluten is
broken down into smaller building blocks, needed for growing the grass.
These smaller molecules are much easier for us to assimilate."). Of course
the longer it germinates the better,  culminating in the growth of
wheatgrass that has, "...been found to have up to a 100 times more vitamin
B17, than the seed from which it came". Wheatgrass is undoubtedly a very
good food - every bear knows that.

Unless one is diagnosed gluten-intolerant, I wonder if avoidance of foods
such as manna bread may be unnecessarily restricting valuable nutrients from
one's intake?

Marilyn