Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:45:17 -0800
Dear Paleo List,

Several people asked me how to get on the LC diabetes list, and here it is.
Just subscribe like you would the paleo list.

Hope this helps,

Mary
>Date:         Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:44:35 -0600
>Sender: Low Carb Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>

>Subject:      [LC-D] Glucophage issues

To: [log in to unmask]

is very minor. Glucophage basically works on two metabolic processes: it
inhibits the liver's release and creation of glucose and it lowers
insulin resistance in muscle cells and other tissues (allowing more
insulin into the cells allows the cells to take up more glucose.)

In regard to her problem of feeling that her blood sugar is low when it
is actually higher than 150, that could possibly be either of two
problems. Perhaps her endogenous insulin production is low or delayed
and she needs insulin. Or most likely, it is a problem of insulin
Resistance. In other words, the blood sugar and insulin are there to
use, but cannot get into the cells. This could result in compulsive
hunger and overeating. There are several ways to decrease insulin
resistance: take more glucophage, get some exercise, take lipoic acid,
chromium, etc. I'm sure others can contribute other methods.

If you are interested in 'natural' measures, consider exercise to
correct this. For millions of years our ancestors had a much higher
activity level than we now experience, and we are still genetically
programmed to expect it. Our appetites may still be set to support that
level, so if we don't exercise, we become covered with a layer of fat.
And that, as you know, can lead to type 2 diabetes. So if you want to
'normalize' your life, get active.

Also with Glucophage, you need to consider vitamin supplements, since it
is an antagonist to some of the B vitamins and that could effect energy
levels. Feelings of weakness or low energy can also be caused by low
minerals or low fluids, so be sure you are getting enough of both.

For an interesting article on Glucophage, see the current newsletter at
www.vrp.com.