From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:02:29 -0700
Todd Moody wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, David Karas wrote:
>
> > Based upon what I read here many people are not able to do this and
> > try to depend on formulas in books and/or what other people say.
>
> Yes, I definitely fall into this category.  I have not yet found
> a way to eat *ad libitum* without gaining body fat or going
> batsh*t, as Dori puts it.  The Anchell diet has worked well for
> me, but it is far from *ad libitum*.  It is very artifically
> constrained, but in a way that I can deal with most of the time.

Based upon your posts, we eat quite differently. You have wife and
son. You eat
mostly cooked. I am divorced with grown daughters living in another
state. I eat
almost all of my food raw, no seasonings, nothing fried, no nuts.
I do eat fruit, some avocados but only a few different items in one
meal. There
is nothing to confuse the body. My diet is not very social. Most
people prefer
not to see me eat raw meat. When I encounter people who eat anything
like the
way I do it is party time. However this may only occur once a month. I
usually
buy a roast cut of beef or buffalo when I can get it. I cut off pieces
and eat
it sort of cave man style. When I am eating fruit this is not a
problem. I am
not saying that your diet is wrong for you only that it is hard to
compare the
two ways. I would prefer that mine was more socially acceptable. This
said, I am
in tune with my body and know when I have had enough. I also know when
I have
thrown the balance off and can get back in balance. I change things
sometimes to
see how well it works. I am currently trying raw cheese after going
without for
six months.

> > In physiology class in college our text said that the function of the
> > stomach acid (hydrochloric) was to break the protein down to amino acids. I
> > haven't seen any updates that changed that.
>
> It may be so.  Or rather, it may be that the HCl gets the protein
> ready for the protease enzyme.  That wouldn't preclude the
> bacteria killing function.

I guess I need to explore this further. The main question for me is
digestion of
the meat occurring. The answer is yes. How this works is secondary to
me as it
would be to your average HG.

> > I am not trying to avoid or kill bacteria, my
> > immune system takes care of the balance. I thrive on "semi-spoiled meat".
>
> I think the idea is that gastric HCl is the first component of
> your immune system, and helps to explain *why* you thrive on
> semi-spoiled meat.

Not all HG's are type O but I would assume that "semi-spoiled meat" is
common
for them. I propose that being free from the sterility and technology
of
civilization is the key. They are living in balance with the organisms
in their
environment. Another way of saying "semi-spoiled" is partially or
pre-digested.