From:
Julie Feickert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:51:34 -0700
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this list but have been enjoying the insights everyone has!  I've
been eating Paleo for about a month now.  I came to this WOE due to
breastfeeding a newborn with food sensitivities (dairy, gluten, sugar) and a
need to address candida issues I've had for 10 years.  My previous diet was
mainly based on Weston Price (although I was far from perfect) and included
grass fed meats, raw milk, pastured eggs, organic produce, etc.  I can't
believe how much better I feel eating Paleo!  I thought a traditional foods
diet was helpful but cutting out grain has been an incredible boost to my
system.

Up until 3 days ago I would guess my diet consisted of about 50% fat and
probably 25% protein and 25% carbs (my naturopath is very pro-Paleo and
encourages high fat intake).  I've been reading the book Primal Body, Primal
Mind and have been encouraged to try to increase my fat intake which over
the last three days has been 74-80% with 10-15% each for protein and carbs.
I am watching my carbs carefully and staying under 100 grams a day.  But I
have a couple of questions:

--Do I need to worry about calorie intake or will that naturally regulate?
I tried to watch my calories for the first two days (ate about 2,000
calories each day) but I was really hungry by day three so yesterday it was
about 2500 calories (still under 100 grams of carbs coming from nuts and
vegetables).  I'm worried about being hungry and restricting calories
because I don't want to be miserable and I need to maintain a healthy
breastmilk supply.  But I also would like to lose some weight.  It doesn't
have to come off really fast (I know better) but eventually would be nice!
(For what it's worth, I'm 5'9" and 174 lbs.-I'd like to get back to around
150 lbs.)  So far my breast milk supply is good and my baby is doing well
(has gained over 3 lbs. in 7 weeks).  I don't formally exercise (just
chasing a very active toddler) but I'm going to start (only for purposes of
being in better shape-not as a weight loss tool).

--How long does it take for a body to switch over to being happy with a high
fat diet (using ketones for fuel, etc.)?  Is it the same day you start
eating a high fat diet or does it take awhile?  I've been feeling a little
yucky since switching to 70-80% fat and my body seems to be cleaning itself
out (sorry TMI).  I feel like I'm giving my body only really good food
(pastured meats, eggs and animal fats; coconut oil; nuts and nut butters
mainly that have been soaked and dried; organic produce; a little bit of raw
honey, etc.).

Julie