From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 12:23:22 -0500
On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Adrienne Smith wrote:

> I just got my bloodwork back for life insurance, and although my
> cholesteral ratio hasn't changed much -- Total Chol: 244 HDL 103; LDL 134
> Triglycerides 36 since my last test 3 months ago, I am concerned that my
> LDL rose 20 points.

That's probably a result of the sat. fat increase from coconut
oil.  Those of us who think that the TG:HDL is key would
certainly find your ratio enviable.  That ratio should be under
2, ideally less than 1.  Yours is about .4, which is excellent.
Unfortunately, your insurance company may fixate only on total
cholesterol, in which case yours would be regarded as
"dangerously elevated." The Cordain diet might bring it down.

> I am on my 4th day of trying Cordain's Paleo diet version (low saturated
> fat, emphasize lean mean and unlimited non-starch veggies and fruit.)  I
> know one (especially women) can expect weight fluctuations from day to day,
> but I seem to have immediately put on 2 pounds within 4 days!

A fluctuation like that can only be water retention.

> I am unfortunately always
> seduced by the thought of eating "unlimited" amounts of anything, so of
> course my first reaction to this weight gain is that I am overdoing
> fruits.  I have only been eating them as dessert after protein rich meals --
>  but I have been eating a lot of them.  Any thoughts?  I would like to lose
> those blasted "last 10 pounds" of fat over the next 3 months.

Well, seductive as that promise is, you can't count on it.

Todd Moody