From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2008 16:31:03 -0400
On Sat, 10 May 2008 05:15 Geoffrey Purcell wrote:

>I don't believe there is any real evidence for eating
>tubers in the middle and late Palaeolithic

In the early Palaeolithic the Pananthropus line (who
were maked by a "robust" conformation) were
vegetarian. However, it appears they died out about
one million years ago and did not lead into the Homo line.

The latest Palaeolithic people included the Australian
Aborigines, who were all Palaeolithic until at least
1788, and some of the desert-dwellers were wholly
Palaeolithic through to the mid-20th century. Tubers
and other roots, as well as grains, comprised a significant
part of their diet.

Keith