From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:32:20 EST
Andrew:

Yes I believe there was. Certainly the time of the year makes a lot of
difference to what is gathered. Acorns were gathered in the fall, and trips
of several days or weeks would be undertaken to gather them. Acorns were
stored, though, and used throughout the year. Many plants obviously produce
their berries and young edible shoots at certain times of the year.  And for
the tribes in northern California, obviously salmon spawning season was very
important.

In southern California, however, because the place is basically a garden,
there was always something that could be gathered or hunted, and I doubt that
their nutritional intake varied that much throughout the year.

Also the time of day and the phase of the moon make a difference (I'm
serious!)  For instance, if you are looking for a nice piece of willow to
make a bow, you should do it early in the morning when there is a full moon,
as this makes the sap rise. Interesting, uh? This basically illustrates how
divorced we are from the natural world, and how unhealthy as a result.

Charles