From:
Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:07:41 -0400
Lynn wrote:

> Through the years I have heard that wine can be a trigger for headaches.
> There is something in it the experts say cause the headache, but I can't
> remember what it is.

Alcohol, like many of the other things mentioned - including carbs, can
cause headaches due to dehydration. This is the most common type of
headache, but is not generally described as a migraine by anyone who has
ever actually had one. A more serious, migrane-like headache can be
caused by methyl alcohol. All wine contains a small amount of methyl
alcohol. Normally this methanol is not dangerous, because ethanol, which
is the predominant alcohol in beverages, mitigates its negative effects.
However, some wine has higher amounts of methanol (possibly due to
brewing errors) and some people are more sensitive to methanol (This may
be related to the presence or absence of certain alcohol enzymes which
has been postulated to be among the predisposing factors for
alcoholism.) Too much methanol can cause headaches among other things
(all bad.) Methanol is also one of the constituents of aspartame and is
usually what is pointed to by those who claim that aspartame is not so
good for you. For detailed info see this site about aspartame:
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame2/