From:
Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:21:09 -1000
Hilary :
> Jana, I think you've been exposed to some raw-foodist propaganda, which
> is probably well-meant but misinformed.

Yeah, I think to imagine that one can not have any parasite problems with
raw foods is a bit idealistic. Nevertheless, many people have eaten raw
animal foods for years with no problems, with a few people experiencing some
trouble. More the exception than the rule. And cooked food eaters can have
parasite problems as well. It may be true that both the raw camp and the
cooked camp are misinformed to a degree.

> Does anyone have reliable information that
> there are significant amounts of enzymes such as protease, lipase, or
> amylase in any raw foods? Not to my knowledge.

These enzymes are abundant in many raw foods. They are what make a banana or
avocado or a peach, as well as meat and fish, ripen/age. And they are
inactivated by heat. And probably by normal digestion as well.

Cheers,
Kirt