From:
SUZANNE METZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:46:50 -0700
Trish, what an accomplishment! Congratulations!

Trish, I hope you and Philip Thrift will respond to this request for
information.

Sorry! This is a little long. I  have a few questions and would appreciate
the collective thoughts from other folks on the list on how to improve my
results with Paleolithic eating. I want to get body transformation results
fast- as in the next two months!

I started the "Body for Life plan", a 12 week weight lifting and food plan,
on 6-13-00. The first month on the plan resulted in very disappointing fat
loss by the scale but I lost a dress size in inches. I was working 80 hour
work weeks and was mostly sleep deprived during the first month of the
program. The only time slot to do my weight work outs was at 9:30 PM.
However, I was in really poor physical condition before starting the
program. I was using Myloplex Lite, at least 2 times per day. Each serving
has 25 grams of carbs. I was getting about 75- 100 gms of carbs per day and
about 1300 Kcal per day.

Now, For the second and third month of the program, I will go to any length
to get results! I decided to follow the advice of several on the Paleo list
and adapt the Bill Phillips food plan to essentially Paleo and low
carbohydrate eating.  The overall Body for Life plan of weight lifting and
cardio program plus 5-6 fist-sized meals seems good. I can tell that my
overall fitness level has dramatically increased.

Here is some additional information for the analytical minds out there.  As
a female, my body type looked  very "apple-like" a month ago. In the past,
my body looked more "hour glass".  My body tends to develop muscle readily.

I had a enormous and sudden weight gain, particularly in the mid-body area,
in the last 1.5 years of inactivity - a total weight gain 45 pounds. I am 5
feet tall.  Prior to the huge weight gain, and when running, my weight
ranged from 98 -110 pounds. As a 48 year old woman, I am definitely going
through the "Change".

Before starting the Body for Life program a month ago, a personal trainer
used skin fold calipers and measured my lean body mass as 98.9 pounds.

In January of this year,  I used the Atkins diet for three weeks. I achieved
daily ketosis (measured by Ketostix), without losing a pound by the scale! I
am not convinced that low carb eating, all by itself, works for me!

Here are my questions:

1.  A personal trainer who has been helping me insists that I will not get
results with a low carb diet (below 30 grams per day).  Who can argue with
the spectacular results of Philip Thrift?  However, given my age, gender and
current fat distribution, is my goal of 30 grams of carbs unrealistic? The
trainer said,  to get good results with a low carb diet, I would need to
increase my cardio from 20 minutes/day to two 30 minute sessions, one in the
A.M. and P.M.. The trainer said I needed the carbohydrates to "build up the
muscle" and "low carb is for lazy people who won't work out".

2.  My current  lean body mass  of 98.8 lbs. is puzzling. Is it possible
that I increased my lean body  mass by lugging around the 45 extra pounds in
a year and a half? Should I get my lean body weight calculations done by
another method? Does it matter? I just want to look good - I don't care how
much I weigh.

3.  The personal trainer and nutritionist advised me that I may not be able
to achieve the prior weight range of 100-110 lbs. She advised me to set a
more realistic body weight goal of 126 lbs. Am I truly doomed to being
chunky the rest of my life?

4.  Given my genetic make-up (I was not born to be thin and lean),  how long
should I give the Philip Thrift plan a chance before making any other
changes?

5.  Should I be upping my cardio program to assure results?

6.  I am taking chromium, Bill Phillips "Herbal Phen-Phen" formula
(containing cafeine), Co-Q10, a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement,
Silver Sage Thyro-support and a Growth Hormone releaser.  Bill Philips
prohibits the use of ephedra type thermogenic supplements on his program.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I think I have a tough case!
Thanks!