From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 18:08:59 GMT
Hi Emily,
I realize that this may not be the avenue that you are looking for,
but I
can offer you my own definition of what is "true paleo" based on my
interpretation of NeanderThin.

When we go to the supermarket for "true paleo" foods, we buy only
those
foods which would not require the use of technology to make them
edible. (I
am sure you realize this.) While lemmings may have been consumed by
our
ancestors, the only lemmings that are available for purchase these
days that
I am aware of are the virtual kind (remember the video game? haha.)

One cannot duplicate with exactness the diet of our very first
ancestors.
Even if we could, there is still some discrepancy as to what was
actually
consumed, by whom, when and where.

What are your reasons for eating paleo? We are all coming from
different
situations here. My family eats paleo because of food allergues
(grain,
dairy, soy and more). Others here are bodybuilders, or trying to keep
extra
weight off, or are simply trying to maintain their health or
recuperate from
illness. You will have your reasons for going paleo in mind when you
are
choosing your food. If there are exceptions to be made, you will make
them
with based on your own individual circumstances. For example, we
sometimes
eat winter squashes (like pumpkin). These are not edible raw, but we
are not
allergic to them, nor are we trying to lose weight so we do eat them
occasionally. (I only buy whole gourds and cook them myself. I try to
stick
with organic heirloom varieties.) Are they true paleo? IMO, no. But
they are
delicious!

There are some here who do eat peas or green beans, though they are
legumes
and generally not considered paleo. Many here eat conventional beef,
which
is definitely not paleo. Grassfed meat is available
(http://www.eatwild.com)
and preferable to grain-fed, though it's meat does not compare exactly
wild meat it is a closer match. Also if you wanted to be absolutely
paleo,
you would eat only wild foods that are indigenous to your area. eg: If
you
live on the US east coast, you would not eat coconuts, pineaple,
chicken,
pork, ostrich, etc. To me, this is true paleo, and in my case is
impossible.

My "expertise" (I use the term loosely) lies in the kitchen, not in
archaeology or palaeontology. I too am "just a mother with only a high
school education". My cares lie herein. Our ancestral mother was also
"just
a mom" whose interest was in survival, not the nutritional composition
of
the grubs she dug up.

Best,
Stacie