From:
jim rockett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:44:32 -0400
------Original Message------
From: "Dr. James Alpigini" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: April 4, 2000 12:49:24 PM GMT
Subject: [P-F] Over the river and through the woods...  (long)

She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed is giving me a two week pass to go backpacking.  So
we will take separate vacations together. See what 10 years of marriage
will do? :-)

James,
Your a very lucky man !
I have been backpacking for 27yrs, in 1974-75 I section hiked the AT. Over
the years I have tried almost everything. My food choices have evolved to
Jerky, Whey powder drink ( filtered to remove the lactose ), and nuts. Not
very paleo but VERY effective for long term energy. Pemican gets soft in the
summer heat even up here in Maine.
Have a great time.

Thus my request for help.  I am soliciting this group for suggestions on
what to eat on the trail.  I have a dehydrator and a vacuum pack food
sealer.  I'll need 2000-3000 calories per day.  We are going for the
lightest weight and highest nutrition and also food that you can eat
without being hungry an hour later.

Now, before I get 100 responses which say "Pemmican"; please realize that
when your are climbing across the rocks in Pennsylvania and it is 90
degrees, you haven't showered in 4 days and are 2 days from your next
shower, Pemmican can get old - fast.

Rather than clog up the list with suggestions, could you mail me directly?
I will summarize and post back to the list.

I thank you in advance.

James at Penn State

Now shall I walk
Or shall I ride?