From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 19:29:18 -0400
I visited my assembly line doctor to get the "bad" news today: my
cholesterol is elevated.

First, let's sort out the nonsense (total cholesterol) from what matters
(TG/HDL).  My TG/HDL is 2.2.

Remember this chart?

"TG/HDL ratio                    Relative Risk
    1.4                                          ~1.0
    2.3                                          ~4.0
    3.3                                          ~6.0
    7.5                                          ~16.0]

The patients with the highest ratio of triglycerides/HDL cholesterol were 16
times more likely to have a heart attack than those with lower ratios."
source: The Anti-Aging Zone

OK, so I have a four times greater chance of a cardiovascular "event", than
one with a TG/HDL ratio of 1.4 (incidentally, smokers with a good TG/HDL
ratio also have a 4 times greater chances of a heart attack).

I have hyperinsulinemia (my words).

Now comes the moment of truth: my assembly line doctor's recommendations.

First, brisk walking 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes FOREVER.

Sensible.  I can live with that.

Second, dietary changes.  Hold your breath.  These lies are straight out of
the corrupt and grossly misinformed Canadian Dietary something or another:
* eat more whole wheat bread, bagels, buns, and pitas
* eat low salt pretzels (!), low-fat granola bars, and baked tortilla chips
* drink more skim milk
* red meat no more than once a week
* egg yolks once a week, but preferably never
* you get the idea

Nowhere is the word "insulin" discussed or written.  Because there's no drug
to lower insulin, its taboo.

From my readings, insulin can best be reduced via:
1. caloric reduction
2. reduction/elimination of starches and sweets (moderate or lower fruit
intake)

In addition, a diet which includes the healthy fats (including saturated,
polyunsaturated, and monounsaturated) and the addition of omega-3 fatty
acids from cold water fish/fish oils should also reduce the risk of heart
disease.

Sad.

Rob