From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 07:30:00 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: 01/04/99 20:22:25
Subject: Re: These ingredients paleo?

>From:    Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

>We are working on adding a bunch of recipes to the list's archives and we
>were wondering about whether some ingredients are paleo:
>
>arrowroot - I though Ray said this was okay?

Yes.  BTW it has less calories and more nutrients than other comparable
thickeners, such as corn starch or flour.

>gelatin - is this just boiled meat products?

I think one kind comes from beef bones ground into dust (someone please tell me
if I'm wrong).  So, if you accept the technological level of doing this, then I
suppose so.

>agar-agar flakes -
Don't know.  Did paleolithic man use anything like it?

>maple syrup - some argue this one should be allowed.

I agree with others, in that this is where we are pushing the edge of "paleo".
Sure, it is natural, but it is also refined.  Also, just basically pure sugar
that has a distinct flavor.  No better than refined sugar for any reason except
a different taste.  Paleo?  Maybe, but if we are associating paleo diets with
any kind of health I would avoid it.  Then again, just a little is definitely
okay, for most people.

BTW - a "sugary" treat that seems paleo enough is gooey dates, each with a
roasted almond shoved inside.  We did this over Christmas, and I ate these
(mostly) instead of tempting cookies and things.  We used raw, unsalted
almonds, and roasted them ourselves.  Delicious.  Did paleo people do this?
Almost certainly not, but a little once in a while seems harmless.

James Crocker
"Taking a new step...is what people fear most."
 - Dostoyevski