From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:11:01 -0700
From: "Ashley Moran" <[log in to unmask]>
.

> But this is what makes me laugh: "Fruit is also at risk of  contamination
> from dust, dirt and bacteria as most of it has been  stored in warehouses,
> travelled in containers and stored again in the  premises of the
> retailers. ...

Hi, Ashley.  I remember when I was still living at home we were eating
celery one day and my father said that on the way home that night he had
passed a large open truck filled with uncovered celery heaped in the bed of
the truck.  There was an exhaust pipe on the top of the truck's cab and dad
saw dark black clouds of exhaust coming out of the pipe and onto the celery.

I've always remembered the strong visual that his story conveyed.  Unless I
grow the vegetables myself, you had better believe that I wash them very
carefully.     :)

Kath