Re: paleo and non paleo religions [log in to unmask] on Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 04:39:30PM -0700
From:
jeremy bornstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:18:52 -0700
An alien implant forced Mary to write:
> If the gods of Hunter Gatherers were real, didn't they let the HGs down (HGs
> almost extinct?)
>
> Likewise haven't some major religions let their people down by encouraging
> them to eat foods of agriculture, encouraging them to vaccinate, etc??

Without agriculture, the development of civilization would have been
very
different--possibly we would still not have attained any technological
societies to speak of.  I think that the development of agriculture
was a
good thing even if it kills some people "prematurely".  Also, although
vaccines cause problems, they've also been extremely useful and it
would
be rather silly to dismiss them entirely. (Well, I hit my thumb with a
hammer--who invented these goddamn things?)

The continuation of agriculturally-based civilization isn't causing
the
world to explode immediately.  (Not to say that agriculture causes no
negative effects anywhere at all.)  We as a species may move beyond
agriculture per se, our bodies and the processes of agriculture may
change
so that agricultural products/production cause no problems anywhere
ever,
etc.

Even if our agriculturally-based civilization does continue to have a
downside (as if anything has no downside), who's to say that (e.g.)
those
negative effects aren't worth it?

I don't actually buy the basic premise of gods letting their people
down,
but even if you do then it's not always (or ever) clear when that
would
have actually happened.

ramblingly yours,
-jeremy