From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:06:02 -0800
Although I have been on and off various lower-carb
regimes since I was diagnosed with diabetes two years
ago, I am fairly new to paleo eating per se.  I've
read Neanderthin and The PaleoDiet, and have a few
questions.

Mr. Audette groups turnips and rutabagas as forbidden,
along with potatoes, yams, and other starchy roots and
underground tubers. Now, turnips are edible (delicious
even) raw, unrelated to potatoes (They are in the
crucifer family, actually, so a relative of cabbage
and radishes.), and lower in carbs than carrots, which
are permitted.  Does anyone know why they should not
be eaten?

What sort of technology is required to extract oils
from olives, nuts, or seeds?   Would it be more
appropriate to eat the whole food rather than the oil
alone?

I use a lot of canned mackerel because it's cheap and
high in Omega-3's.  Yes, I know, fresh is better, but
canned fish is better than nothing.  Unfortunately,
the mackerel does have salt added.  If I drain it and
rinse it to get rid of some of the salt, am I also
getting rid of the Omega-3's?

The contrast in health and stature between ancient
hunter-gatherers and agriculturalists is fascinating.
Where would pastoral people, who eat little or no
grain but consume a great deal of milk products, fall
in this respect?

Thank you.

Andrea Hughett