From:
Justine Shrider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:15:29 -0600
> Hi Judy.  Thanks for your wonderful insights.  You're so right about the
> importance of physical/emotional contact - bonding.  An example that
> correlates with your observations about the importance of breastfeeding is
> the preponderance of adopted children (who often didn't get touched during
> the first days after they were born) who suffer from lifelong depression and
> dysfunction.

Besides breastfeeding as a form on contact, think about other accepted
practices with regard to babies. One of my co-workers was talking to me
about the "evil" of baby carriers. I was surprised at her strong opinion
until she pointed out that people need to carry their babies next to their
bodies instead of putting them in a plastic thing. There are canvas baby
carriers that hang on the adult's body so the infant has warmth and
closeness--better than the suitcase-like carrier.