From:
"Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 13:17:28 EDT
In a message dated 10/02/1999 9:18:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  An interesting experiment would be to test the perceived effects of the
same
>  quantity of different strains of rice. Wild lake rice (long, dark, green
>  grains), basmati, and white sushi rice for example. I suspect that if the
>  glycemic index of the grain is the issue for most people, then wild lake
>  rice (less carbs per gram than white rice) would be the least offensive to
>  one's efforts to maintain normal serum glucose levels.
>
>  Troy G.

I tried that once.  I looove rice so I was looking for a way to be able to
keep
eating it.  The worst for me, believe it or not, was wild rice...my head was
swimming within 30 minutes.  The basmati is the best.  It's got the ..oh
geez,,i don't remember the term,,but there's a chemical difference in that
kind of rice over others,,it manifests in not being as sticky as other rices.
It seems that the stickier the rice, the worst the glycemic effect, so Basmati
is lower on the GI index.  That's the only kind I'll allow myself,, but to be
honest, even that one sends me...or puts the weight on....so I tend to avoid
rice altogether now.  (BTW, brown rice isn't any better for my sugar, still
kooks me out).

Anna 8-)