From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:14:44 +0200
Larelle wrote:
>Lynnet wrote:
>>Finally, we get off the trans-fats (by eliminating processed
>>foods, and
>>Omega-6
>>oils (by eliminating seed oils) and onto the Omega-3's, which has

>>lots of health
>>benefits.  The entire blood lipid picture changes if you stay away

>>from seed
>> oils, and eat mainly wild or range-fed meat.
>What is wrong with Omega 6 oils?
A good overview over the expected health benefits from w-3 fats
and from a certain ratio of w-3 to w-6 fats has the site
 http://www.teleport.com/~jor/#fac
(also the contents in various foods listed).
You may also look to back posts on this list (w-3 ...).

As you see on the mentioned site, (cold water) fish are a very good
source for w-3 fats
(alas they are not paleo-there aren't cold water fish in Africa).

The solution is NOT, to keep away from seed oils,
but from cereal fats - found in grains, farmed animals and dairy.

Animal fats are like what the animals eat: farmed is bad.
Dark green vegetables (herbs like purslane) cary the
valuable fat composition which can be found in true wild game.
Wild game has very little fat anyway, so - if one wants w-3 fats
from animals then brain and marrow is to be eaten.
I doubt that  fat from range fed animals has good lipids
(they are not fat too) : they eat grass.. and grass is not much
different from grain.. cereals *are* grasses.

So available sources of w-3 fats are (in order of magnitude)
- fish fats (alas the freshness is of concern)
- brain, marrow
- flaxseed
- many nut fats
- dark greens