From:
Judy Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 16:16:59 EDT
Trish and others:

My vision for a paleo "tribal community" does not necessarily mean commune.
A piece of land could be shared, and individuals and families could each
inhabit their own home, yurt, cabin, etc.

What would define this group as a tribe, would be the interdependence the
members would have between each other for economic and physical survival.
This is what differentiates a tribe from merely a cluster of houses on a
mutual piece of land, such as Ecological Villages.  It does not mean that
members sleep with each others wives (tho' I'm sure that has been the basis
for many intra-tribal wars..), as sometimes people think when they hear the
word commune.  It does not mean that everyone has to eat off the same plate.

What interests me about this idea is wondering if in the midst of scurrying
for "The American Dream", we can shift towards a real meaningful &
cooperative modern day paleo based village where:

 there is a place for woman to be home and nurse their babies for as long as
they like, because the tribe allows them to do so.

  those whose skills may not have "marketable" value in modern society, could
be useful contributors to the tribe.

 food and sharing of food is a pleasurable experience.

the word MEAT is not a four letter word, as one often finds in alternative
communities.

  children can be schooled within the tribe by those who choose to be
teachers and not have to eat school lunch!!!!!

elder members are given a place of dignity and importance, rather than being
considered useless and a burden.

  Whereas many friendships, familial and neighborly relationships seem
superficial and transitory in today's faced paced world,  could a tribe of
people who like to hunt, eat wild, and live close to the earth form a deep
bond where the good of the whole supercedes, but also enhances  the
individual?

How would the tribe relate to the "outside" world, and could an economic plan
be devised where everyones' talents contribute to supporting the tribe and
making it flourish.   For example, many on this list pay high prices for
grass-fed meat.  What if the tribe raised and marketed its own?  Then the
world would be knocking on its door, and the tribe would be well fed and
financially sustained.... That is just one thought!

These, and many other facets, are what I have been thinking about.  I am
inviting everyone to offer their thoughts and visions, if you care to
dream!!!!

I know that many attempts at alternative communities have been tried, and
some fail and some succeed.  What makes the Paleo Tribe different?

The fact that YOU might be in it.....

Cheers,

Judy Genova, cavegirl