From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 11:29:30 +1100
Todd Moody wrote in part.

> This is the part that I don't understand.  Why should paleo cause
> the autoimmune response, once learned by the immune system, to
> disappear?  That is, do we have an actual experimental model for
> this restoration of normal security routines?
Ther are helper cells that promote immune reactions and suppressor cells
that dampen them down. Loren's article referred to a "protocol" I wasn't
aware of and I will need to reread the article to give more detail.

> > Autoimmune diseases may
> > disappear as mysteriously as they appear, so it would be hard to prove
this,
> > but I think Paleo is the answer IMHO.
>
> It would make more sense to try to disprove it and see what
> happens.  If there are autoimmune diseases that fail to disappear
> when paleo is followed for a sufficient length of time (whatever
> that is) then this would imply that either removing the offending
> proteins does not halt the autoimmune process or that the paleo
> diet continues to contain the offending proteins.
>
> One reason why I am curious about this is that Barry Sears makes
> an interesting case for the claim that autoimmune diseases are
> the result of eicosanoid imbalance (see ETZ, pp. 184-188), with
> specific comments about arthritis.  If he is right, one would
> expect the paleo diet to help, since it is typically
> "Zone-favorable."  But it is readily possible to have a
> Zone-favorable diet that is *not* paleo, and this possibility
> would make for a useful experiment.

Todd,
Neolithic diets have multiple levels of interfernece with our bodies:

Antinutrients eg lectins directly atttack T-cells affecting immune
regulation
Nutrinets imabalnce- vitamins and efatty acid, and unknown micronutrients
may I say there will be more dicovered .
By for now.
Ben