From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:53:02 +1100
At 4:46 AM -0500 26/11/03, Keith Thomas wrote:

>different from the poultry of Java Man.  But I'll be running the hens free
>range and organic with plenty of greens, insects etc. as they forage
>around the fallow parts of my vegetable garden.

There's nothing stopping you from choosing a breed of chook (or indeed
some other bird) which has not been as selectively bred by humans as
modern poultry. I wonder if there is any place you can get "heritage"
livestock the way you can get heritage seeds?

>Another option for me would be Guinea Pigs or Rabbits, but they don't lay eggs!
And they don't scratch at the soil the way chooks do. So they won't
till your vegetable garden for you :)

>(My main meat will
>still be fresh kangaroo - about as Paleo as you can get!)

Roo is just about the leanest meat you can get. If my staple was
roo I would also eat something very fatty like duck at least every
couple of days.

IMHO, organic or wild duck has a pretty impressive lipid profile.
High in mono- and poly-unsaturates and a nice amount of n-3.

 ...R.