Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:23:41 -0500
Hello,

I think you may have a problem searching for premature birth in
traditional societies because they probably didn't have that little
wheel thingy the doctors use to tell you when you are 'supposed' to
have the baby (or schedule your ceasarian, more likely.) Just a guess.
The baby came when it was ready, with no inductions to hurry it along,
and no worry that it was a week 'late' or 'early'.

Some complications of pregnancy that can lead to premature birth are
definitely related to diet: pre-eclampsia and diabetes comes to mind.
The recommended diet to help avoid pre-eclampsia is lots of protein,
no sugar or refined grains, lots of veggies... Of course, it still
contains milk products for protein and whole grains, but it's a good
start. I especially like the fact it includes eggs and butter (fat).
http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/

I am 6 months pregnant now. I have been very very thankful to have had
an easy time so far: very little nausea and a little extreme fatigue
in the first couple of weeks is all. I have been mostly paleo from the
start, and pretty strictly paleo this last couple of months since we
(my midwife and I) are weaning me off my allergy pills. I am down to a
quarter of my original dosage, and should be completely off soon -
just in time for the enormous pollen season here in Florida, yay. I
really do believe my diet has been a major factor in my easy pregnancy
so far (knocks on wood, crosses fingers, etc.) And I am really hoping
it makes the birth easier, too. I'll let you know how it comes out in
the end. 8D

Excuse me while I mount my soapbox here: Begin Rant
I am really disgusted with how much the government is interfering with
my pregnancy and birth plans. I know the insurance companies play
their part in complicating things, too. I am planning a homebirth with
a midwife. However, if she attends me at home and I am: 2 weeks early,
2 weeks late, breech presentation, knowingly carrying twins, have
previously had a caesarian, or have gained more than 60lbs ( and the
list goes on) she will lose her license. (Plus, there is only one
health provider at one hospital in town that will attend a breech
birth or a vaginal birth after a caesarian and not automatically give
you a caesarian. And we are lucky there is one!) Not to mention the
tests she is required to do, whether I want them or not. She allows
(encourages) you to refuse everything you can legally refuse, and
makes sure you know you have that option. I believe if both your
health care provider and you know the risks involved, you should be
'allowed' to make all the decisions pertaining to your care and birth
yourself.      I am beginning to see why my friend had her babies at
home, by herself, just her and her hubby. She even did her own
prenatal care. Of course, that brought different problems, like
getting the birth certificate and trying to find someone that would
give her a Rhogram shot (no one would since they didn't attend the
birth).  If everything goes ok with this baby, I will definitely
consider an unattended home birth for any other babies I might have.
Of course, if something goes wrong, I will probably get thrown in jail
for child abuse. You just can't win.
End Rant

I feel better now. 8D
Camille
--
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!