From:
Mark Labbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 07:14:43 -0500
I have had Crohn's for 33 years and have felt great since I started
eating paleo 3 years ago. I do eat sweet potatoes with no ill effects
and I read somewhere that the major reason they are sweet is they
contain sucrose. I tend to agree with the wheat/lectin theories as wheat
just creates havoc with my digestion.

Mark

Do root veggies and winter squash contain starch?  I'm not sure about
this.
Starch means polysaccharide--amylose or amylopectin.  I think that many
(most? all?) root veggies and winter squash contain dissaccharides but
not
polysaccharides.  I'm guessing this based on their carbohydrate percent
as
compared to starchy tubers like white potatoes or sweet potatoes, but I
don't
know for sure, and have never found a source for this information.  I
could
test this with some iodine--I just haven't done it.  If you put a little
iodine on starch, it turns black.

---