From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 20:52:04 -0400
Susie Jo Skinner wrote:
 >I think it taste better with a more beef flavor to it but there are some
 >people who don't notice the difference.

I'm one that can't tell the difference. When cooking you want to
minimize the gray. That is tasteless. The brown Maillard layer on the
outside is the tastiest. That is why people make gravies with the pan
drippings.

I buy ground beef. It is butchered and processed in a abattoir that
only processes grass-fed. That means the bacteria contamination that
is a problem with regular beef is not present. I cook it very quickly
at high heat to get the brown outside layer. The inside is all raw. Yum.

Now before someone jumps in and claims it is carcinogenic, note that
the brown layer on the outside of bread is also a Maillard layer,
except that one is bitter. Studies may not distinguish between the two.

Our taste buds should have evolved to guide us. Though they can be
corrupted. One builds up a tolerance to salt. Corrupting that taste.
And sweet also seems to be that way. I gave up all sweets decades
ago. I no longer like anything sweet.

Don.