From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:34:36 -0600
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:33:52 -0600, Mari Madlem <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I run long distance and the paleo diet works for me as long as I keep up my
> carbs for my long runs of more than 10 miles. I really do have to focus on
> eating lots of fruits, veges and nuts to compensate or I lose weight very
> fast.

Same problem here.  If I don't work at keeping my calories up, I drop weight like it's going out of style.  (And I am not overweight -- 190 lbs at 6' 4" tall.)

> I find I have to eat a bowl of oatmeal a couple of hours before a
> very long run or I just zap out after a couple of hours of running. During
> long runs I eat dried fruit, after 2 hours out I do take a packet of salt.

I hadn't thought about dried fruit.  That would be a good carb/calorie boost without the bulk associated with a similar amount of fresh fruit.  It tends to be kinda self-limiting, too (it's so sweet, it's almost like eating candy, and I only want so much before I put it down.)

> Haven't read the Paleo for Athletes yet..hope I get it for xmas from one of
> my sons. :)

It's an interesting read.

> training for my yearly marathon, 54 yr old female.

Outstanding! :-)

--
   Robert Kesterson